The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is an English proficiency exam that’s accepted by many different countries and institutions. The test has three sections and takes up to 2 hours and 45 minutes to complete. You can take the TOEFL test at any time, but your scores are only valid for a certain period of time depending on which TOEFL exam you took, so be sure to check before applying!
What is TOFEL?
- The TOEFL is a standardized test to measure the English language ability of non-native speakers wishing to enroll in higher education institutions in English-speaking countries. It was developed by Educational Testing Service (ETS) and is administered worldwide by them with their partners.
- The most common format for TOEFL testing is an internet-based version that takes about 3 hours and 30 minutes to complete, although there are also paper-based tests available for those who prefer them or are unable to take them online due to accessibility issues or geographical location constraints
TOFEL exam syllabus and pattern
The TOEFL exam syllabus and pattern are as follows:
• The reading section consists of 40 questions and has a time limit of 60 minutes. The questions are multiple-choice and require you to select the best answer from four options. Each question carries 1 mark, making the total score 40.
• The listening section has 30 items to be answered within 60 minutes with 1 mark per item, so it’s also worth 30 points in total. You’ll be asked to choose between similar sounds or words in order to identify their meanings or their pronunciation patterns respectively; sometimes you’ll have to listen for specific information about an event or person described in an audio clip
How to check whether a TOEFL score is valid or not?
To check whether your TOEFL scores are still valid, you will have to log on to the official website of ETS. Once there, enter the date of your test, your name, and the ID number that was given to you at the TOEFL test center.
(Read More: How to select the best TOEFL coaching center?)
How long is TOEFL Score Valid?
TOEFL scores are valid for 2 years from the date of testing. After this time, you can no longer use your TOEFL score to apply for admission to a university or college in any country.
If you are applying for a visa, however, your TOEFL score is valid for 5 years from the date of testing.
What is the validity period of the TOEFL score?
The validity period of TOEFL scores is generally two years from the date of testing. This means that you need to use them within two years after you take your test, or else they will expire and no longer be valid for admission purposes. However, there are some exceptions to this general rule:
- If you took your first official TOEFL test on or after December 1st, 2018 (or March 1st, 2019), then your score will expire after four years instead of two years. This change was implemented by ETS in order to align with other major English tests such as IELTS and PTE Academic.
- If you have taken any unofficial practice tests during these periods (December 1st, 2018 – February 28th, 2019), then those scores won’t count toward your total number of attempts when calculating whether or not an institution will accept them as part of their application requirements for graduate school admissions.
The validity period starts from the date of your first test; it does not matter which test you took first. The TOEFL score is valid for two years from the date of testing. If you have not yet taken a TOEFL test and would like to do so within two years, we recommend that you register for an upcoming TOEFL exam as soon as possible.
(Read More: Tips to ace the TOEFL Writing section)
What can you do if your TOEFL score has expired?
- If your score has expired, you can request to have it extended by taking a new test within 60 days of your deadline. The TOEFL does not allow extensions beyond 60 days of your last sitting. If you decide to take another test after this time frame has passed, then your scores will be invalidated and no longer valid for admission purposes.
- You must take the new test within 60 days of the date at which you sat down for one of these two tests (the original or extension).
- If you have taken the test more than once, then you must decide which scores to submit. You cannot submit both scores. It is better to take TOEFL coaching classes for professional guidance.
- If you are applying for a graduate or postgraduate program, the TOEFL score is valid for 5 years from the date of testing. If you are applying for an undergraduate program, your TOEFL score will be valid for 2 years from this date.
- If you take the TOEFL exam more than once in a lifetime, then your score is only valid for two years from the date of the last sitting.
In general, the TOEFL scores are valid for two years from the date of testing. However, if you take a new test within 60 days of your deadline, then your score will be extended by another year. The validity period starts from the date of your first test; it does not matter which test you took first.