At GT Prep, you can be sure to find a comprehensive and holistic learning system, that is guaranteed to help you not just score higher on the TOEFL test, but also, improve your overall communication skills in the English language and give you more confidence to carry out a conversation. At GT Prep, we improve you from beginner to intermediate, from intermediate to expert and from expert to native in communicating in English.
What is the TOEFL
The TOEFL is the Test of English as a foreign language, and as the name suggests, is a test that is taken by students and individuals whose first language is not English. A student who intends to study in USA for his under graduation or graduation will take this test as a part of his admission process. The TOEFL is designed in such a way that it helps admissions teams to evaluate a student on his comfort with the English language and informs them whether or not he will be able to understand and follow the course of study if the medium of instruction is in English.
The TOEFL test, though similar to large extent to the IELTS, differs slightly in one respect. While IELTS is intended for students and individuals who intend to communicate in UK English, the TOEFL is intended for students who plan to study in USA and as such tests the student on North American English. The test will evaluate the student on the following parameters
The Reading section of the TOEFL exam typically consists of around 36 to 56 questions. you will be asked to read material from 3 or 4 passages and answer the questions given below. The questions are designed to test your comprehension of the passage and ability to communicate your answers through the written word effectively. You will be given anywhere between 60 to 80 minutes to complete this module.
In this section of the TOEFL you will be asked to listen to a variety of audio clips, which could range from lectures on a specific topic, conversations in the market place, discussions in the classroom apart from others. You will need to listen to the passage and answer the questions that follow, based on your understanding of the passage. There will typically be 34 to 51 questions in all, and you will have 60 to 90 minutes for completing the module
The speaking section of the TOEFL will be for a duration of 20 minutes. In this module, you will be required to speak on a selected topic and will be evaluated on your grammar, understanding of language, ability to communicate effectively in English and articulation of the language. There will be six tasks in all, and each task will test you on a different aspect of your English language speaking skills.
The writing section comprises of Writing long answers in the form of essays in response to the questions asked as a part of the reading and listening tasks. You will also be asked to support your opinion for any of the tasks through writing. You will be given around 50 minutes to complete the tasks in the module.
Who Can Take The TOEFL?
The TOELF Coaching can be taken by any individual who intends to migrate to an English speaking country for the purpose of work or study. The test is mostly given by students who plan to study in the USA for their graduation or post graduation degrees.
Eligibility Criteria for the TOEFL
- There is no specific eligibility criteria for the TOEFL. Anyone who intends to study in USA can take the test
Guidelines for TOEFL
- The TOEFL will test you on your ability to communicate in Northern American English, which is slightly different from the UK English we are used to speaking in India.
- The test can be taken as an internet based test or paper based test
- You can register for the TOEFL test in four ways viz – Online, through mail, by email or over phone.
- The window for online registration will close exactly seven days before the date of the test.
- The TOEFL is conducted on 50 specific pre-determined days throughout the year. You can choose to give the test on any of the 50 days. For assistance on test dates you can reach out to our coaching team at GT Prep.
Cost of Taking the TOEFL
The TOEFL exam costs 170 USD for students in India.
Results of the TOEFL
The results of your TOEFL test are evaluated sectionwise.
- Reading – evaluated by computer – reported as a range from 0 to 30
- Listening – evaluated by computer – reported as a range from 0 to 30
- Speaking – evaluated by human beings – reported as a range from 0 to 4
- Writing – evaluated by anynomous human beings – reported as a range from 0 to 30
Preparation Tips for TOEFL
- Read books and material that have been written by Northern American authors in order to introduce yourself to different genres in the dialect and familiarize yourself with the phrases and idiomatic expression of the same.
- Watch more American based Television, which can include, movies, reality shows, sitcoms etc, to get used to the nuances of the language
- Join a reputed coaching class that will improve your communication skills in English
- Make it a daily habit to write down your thoughts at the end of each day. Keep a journal where you can pen your thoughts on various topics in English.
- Commit to learning a few new words each day to improve your vocabulary. everyday
- Listen to podcasts/ audiobooks narrated by different authors/narrators in the Northern American dialect to get used to different accents and pronunciations
- Attempt a large number of simulated mock tests
Our Strategies to Help You Achieve Success in TOEFL
TOEFL Test Preparation
- Holistically designed training to help you approach the test with confidence.
- comprehensive and strategically designed syllabus just for the TOEFL exam. We do not cover thes same syllabus for IELTS and TOEFL.
- Experienced faculty who understand the nuances of Northern American English as compared to UK English
- Personal help from our coaching department to book the center and date for the test according to your requirements.
- Learning in a group environment
- Personalized attention for all students .